New draft guidelines, written by the Food Standards Agency, Defra Labelling and the sustainability charity Wrap, say that shops should remove use by dates from products unless there is a risk of food poisoning, instead just stating a best before. Read full article from here
From nigiri to temaki, sushi has boomed in popularity in the west, but now doctors are warning of a less appetising trend: a rise in parasitic infections.
A team of doctors from Portugal raised concerns after a 32-year old man was admitted to hospital complaining of pain in his abdomen just below his ribs, vomiting and had a slight fever, all of which had lasted for a week. Read full article from here:
"Whether consumers are eating out, getting takeaways or having food delivered to their home or workplace, food businesses have a legal obligation to provide accurate food allergen information in writing.
"The level of non-compliance we have identified through this audit is a cause for major concern. Food businesses must take action immediately to protect public health and to comply with the law." Read full article from here:
The court was told that, in July 2014, a 16-year-old member of staff at the restaurant was asked to remove a container of hot gravy from a microwave. He was not wearing protective gloves and sustained serious burns to his hands and arms. Read full article from here:
Roast potato crackdown phase two: soon pubs and restaurants will face fines for serving 'overdone' food
Pubs and restaurants could soon be fined for serving well-done items such as triple-cooked chips or thin and crispy pizza under a second phase of the Government's crackdown on burnt food. Read full article from here:
A business has been fined £120,000 for delivering “high-risk” food to a business in a vehicle that wasn’t refrigerated
In December 2015 a complaint had been received that ham and cheese was being transported in a non-refrigerated van. Summing up the case the District Judge said: “The defence hasn’t provided any evidence that the driver in question on December 9, 2015, had been sufficiently trained. Read full article from here:
A 15-year-old girl has died after she suffered a severe allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.
She was taken to hospital on 30 December after eating food from a takeaway in the Hyndburn district near Blackburn. Read full account from here:
Raw milk may sound like an interesting food trend to try, but is it safe?
It was recently reported that six people had fallen ill after buying and drinking raw milk from a farm in Cumbria.
Sales of the product, from the Low Sizergh Barn Farm in Kendal, have now been suspended while the local council and Food Standards Agency (FSA) investigates what happened. Read full article from here:
The regulations will not force takeaway firms to print their actual rating on their leaflets but they will need to print a bilingual statement pointing to a website where it can be found. Wales became the first part of the UK in 2013 to force food businesses like restaurants and takeaways to display ratings on their premises.
Read full article from here:
Recent court decisions applying the Sentencing Council Definitive Guideline for Health and Safety Offences, Corporate Manslaughter and Food Safety and Hygiene Offences, in force on 1 February 2016, have highlighted that health and safety offences are concerned with failures to manage risks to health and safety and do not require proof that the offence caused any actual harm. Read full article from here: