A milk-free donor kebab was requested and then sent to an analyst. “It was found to contain 120mg of milk protein and it was concluded that rendered the food unsafe.” Tests carried out following the second visit and purchase found the lamb meat contained 5.7mg of milk. Trading Standards officers found there was no allergen training in place and no signs displaying allergy information. Full article from here
"Whether consumers are eating out, getting takeaways or having food delivered to their home or workplace, food businesses have a legal obligation to provide accurate food allergen information in writing.
"The level of non-compliance we have identified through this audit is a cause for major concern. Food businesses must take action immediately to protect public health and to comply with the law." Read full article from here:
A 15-year-old girl has died after she suffered a severe allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.
She was taken to hospital on 30 December after eating food from a takeaway in the Hyndburn district near Blackburn. Read full account from here:
Following the recent jail sentence of a business owner following can a food business afford not to train their staff?
In addition to that, can any food business afford not to fully comply with the Food Information Regulations 2014?
We offer the CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Allergen Awareness and further services to assist you in complying with the new allergen regulations. Contact us today for further information.
The conviction of 'reckless' restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman, owner of the Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold, for manslaughter by gross negligence shows that restaurants cannot afford to gamble with people's lives by ignoring allergy regulations, said the CIEH this week. Read full article from here:
Thousands of people a year are still suffering potentially lethal allergic reactions to food in restaurants, despite new rules demanding clearer warnings of dangerous ingredients.
Dr Chun-Han Chan, Food Allergy Expert at the FSA, said many establishments are not yet providing the information their customers need. Read full article from here:
In January 2015, a 24 year old lady bought a cupcake from an East London café. The lady had a severe acute anaphylactic shock after biting into the cupcake. This was because the lemon-flavoured cake’s icing was made with cashew cream.
Bemidji, Minnesota -- A Minnesota family is suing a local cafe after their son, who suffers from a severe dairy allergy, ate what the restaurant claimed were dairy free pancakes.
Scott Johnson, 16, ate an order of dairy and gluten free pancakes at the Minnesota Nice Cafe last June. Read full article from here:
Following serious incidents resulting from allergen mismanagement or mislabelling, this paper reviews recent prosecutions. EU food companies are legally compelled to declare major allergens used as ingredients. Current legislation tries to ensure consumers informed about the common allergenic ingredients in pre-packed food, so allergen sufferers can identify foods they need to avoid. The EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation (FIRs) changed the way allergen information appears on labels and now including loose or food served when eating out. Read full article from here:
The most common food allergies among adults are to fish and shellfish and nuts, including peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts and brazil nuts. Children often have allergies to milk and eggs as well as to peanuts, other nuts and fish. Read full article from here: